Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gotta love the Counselor

Thanks to God, he keeps me calm for the most part and lets me laugh things off. This week was a trying week. Issac and I went around a couple times a day. Issacs counselor came to the house a few days ago. She comes once a month. So I tried the lovely things the counselor told us too do when Issac starts to get mad. She wants him to smell the flowers and blow the bubbles and this will calm him down. Well as you can imagine trying to get a four year old to smell the flowers and blow the bubbles when his is having a melt down didn't work. For one it just made him madder and all I could do was laugh because she swears up and down this is going to work. When Issac is having a tough time he just wants to be left alone were it is quiet. So for now we will put the smelling flowers and blowing bubbles on hold. I also had to put the counselor in time out to role play for Issac. It was funny becaue putting her in time out was much easier. I wish Issac would just say " I don't want to be in timeout" that would be easy. Instead she doesn't understand that he hits, bangs his head and throws anything around him. Last she wants us to explain to him that if he is good we will have a calender and for every hour he is good he will get a sticker. Which is fine but I am supposed to explain to him he gets something special at the end of the day. Issac is not an out of control kid. His needs are just different. If the neuroligist didn't request the counselor I would stop. Ending Note When your counselor wants you to role play and act things out just laugh after she leaves because thats all you can do. She just doesn't understand that Issac is not comprehending what she is talking about and you think she would realize that when he answers all her questions with "my daddy's got a semi."

1 comment:

  1. Even though we want someone to tell us the majic words for us to help our children, keep in mind, we know our kids the best. Follow your instinct, it's from God!!

    ReplyDelete